Watercraft Inspection & Decontamination
It is mandatory to have all motorized and non-motorized watercraft inspected prior to launching in Whitefish Lake. High risk watercraft must also be decontaminated (Section 13-5-3 of the Whitefish City Code).
Whitefish City Beach and Whitefish Lake State Park Inspection Stations
Inspection Station Hours
- 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The City Beach and Whitefish Lake State Park boat ramps will be closed but not locked after staffed watercraft inspection hours. During times when rangers are not available to inspect boats, boaters must have a permit to launch. An Early Angler Permit will be required to access the launch prior to opening and permits will need to be displayed on your vehicle dashboard. To obtain a permit, visit https://www.cityofwhitefish.org/174/Aquatic-Invasive-Species-Self-Certificat.
Boats coming off the lake after hours will be able to exit by removing and replacing the chain (City Beach) or opening and closing the gate (State Park). Boaters that have watercraft with ballast tanks can take advantage of the Late Boater Program which allows users to self-seal their watercraft to avoid a decontamination. Inspection stations are closed October 1st through April 30th.
Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention & Decontamination Station
Located on the corner of Edgewood Place and Washington Avenue near Whitefish City Beach.
Decontamination Station Hours
- June 15 through August 31: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- May 1 through June 14, and September:
- Decontaminations available on weekends, 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Mondays through Fridays by appointment, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Call 406-212-0750 to schedule.
Decontamination must be performed prior to launching in Whitefish Lake—whether or not you have been inspected at another inspection station—on all the following watercraft:
- with ballast tanks or bags as determined by watercraft inspection staff
- that have been in a mussel infested waterway in the last 30 days
- with standing water
- that inspectors deem are too dirty to inspect.
There is a NO fee for decontamination.