- Planning & Building
- Building Permits / Inspections
Building Permits / Inspections
Permits are required for all new construction within Whitefish city limits. That includes but is not limited to the following:
- Commercial storage buildings and garages of any size
- Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing projects
- New residential and commercial construction
- Residential sheds and storage buildings over 120 square feet
- Retaining walls over 4 feet high or subject to surcharge load
- Roofing if sheeting is being replaced
Please call the Building Department at 406-863-2410 before starting any construction to determine if a permit is required.
- A complete signed building permit application including owner information and contractor information
- Truss design criteria from the truss manufacturer (dead load and live load) must be submitted prior to permit issuance
- As of January 2022, a completed Public Tree Impact Form is required if working within 50 feet of a public tree. Public Tree Protection Information (PDF)
- Commercial Projects (revised January 26, 2022)
- Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Energy code compliance: Prescriptive or COMcheck
- Residential Projects (revised January 26, 2022)
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Energy code compliance: Prescriptive or REScheck
Apply for an Extension (revised February 1, 2023)
Building permit fees are based on a percentage of the estimated cost for the project. A deposit is required at the time of permit submittal.
Projects adding plumbing fixtures are also subject to impact fees, which are calculated by the Public Works Department. Please contact Rose Elliott at 406-863-2462 if you have questions.
Architectural Review May Apply to Your Project
The following types of projects are subject to architectural review approval prior to submitting your building permit application:
- Commercial or industrial buildings
- Multi-family buildings
- Additions, façade changes, or painting any of the above
Applications, Architectural Review Standards and more information can be found on the Architectural Review Committee page or you may call the Planning Department at 406-863-2410.