Special Event Permit

PurposeGlacier Challenge Participants

A Special Event Permit (PDF) is required for use of the City Right-of-Way or events in a City Park as stated in Section 7-4-1. This includes street closures, parking space closure, sidewalk sales, weekly runs, parades etc. Review the Special Event Guidelines (PDF) to learn about the procedures and regulations involved with holding a special event in Whitefish. 

Please complete the checklist and return the completed Special Event Application with payment to the Customer Service Clerk at least 15 days prior to an event. Please contact the City Parks and Recreation Office for events in a City Park. Any event that crosses or takes place along a state highway will need to complete the Montana Department of Transportation Special Use Permit for State Maintained Highways (PDF).

Governor Gianforte's newest directive, effective on January 15, 2021, state that public gatherings or events should be managed in a way that accommodates CDC social Distancing guidelines. View the CDC Events and Gatherings: Readiness and Planning Tool.

Catering Permit

A Catering Permit (PDF) is required only when alcohol will be catered at an event. The company providing the catering will need to complete the permit, have the Police Chief sign the permit, then return the permit with payment to the Customer Service Clerk. Please contact the State Department of Revenue Liquor Division for a one day permit if your event will be selling alcohol for a profit.

Highway 93 Special Event Banner

The City Clerk’s Office holds a lottery every January for banner space on Highway 93 S. A letter with a deadline is mailed to those interested in the banner location. The banner space is for Whitefish Events and Non-Profit Organizations only. Please contact the City Clerk to be placed on the Lottery List.